WELCOME TO THE WEBSITE FOR THE NORTHEASTERN MICHIGAN ESTATE PLANNING COUNCIL.
The Council currently plans to return to in-person meetings in the fall, with the option to join by Zoom still available for members for the foreseeable future who cannot attend in person. The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, October 28, 2021, from 12:00 noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Great Hall in Midland and at Isabella Bank in Mt. Pleasant.
September 23, 2021
Our September speaker was David Bennett, President of the Community Foundation Research and Training Institute. His presentation was titled "Taxes, Charitable Giving and The New Normal" and focused on the following topics:
- Recent federal income tax changes
- The new standard deduction - what does it mean for charitable giving?
- The new standard deduction - what does it mean?
- The estate tax - does it still matter?
- Donor advised funds as a planning tool;
- Donating retirement assets;
- Gifts with income and their tax conseuqnces;
- Proposed tax changes in the Biden administration
OCTOBER 28, 2021
The NMEPC and the ASSOCIATION OF FUNDRAISING PROFESSIONALS: MID-MICHIGAN CHAPTER have joined together to collaboratively host a Great Lakes Bay Regional Philanthropy Panel Discussion. The GLBR is fortunate to have a culture of collaboration, creativity and philanthropy among our corporate, foundation and individual philanthropists. A panel comprised of some of our area's philanthropic leaders will discuss current funding trends and their plans to address the obstacles and opportunities that come from this uniquely challenging time. Time will be reserved for questions from attendees.
Bobbie Arnold B.J. Humphreys Heather Gallegos Reneé Johnston
President and CEO Wickson-Link Foundation Director, Great Lakes Bay Region President and CEO
Charles J. Strosacker Nickless Foundation Communications and Community Saginaw Community Foundation
Foundation Turner Memorial Trust Affairs and USA North and Canada
Communications for Dow
- To effect and promote the coordination of professional services necessary for proper estate planning.
- To improve the understanding, knowledge and skill of the member professional groups in their efforts on behalf of their clients and in appreciation of each specialized service.
- To raise the standards of cooperation between the professional groups for more effective application and employment of professional services in behalf of public interest.
- To promote and encourage the appropriate use of the professional services available from the different groups comprising the membership of this Council.
Members of NMEPC include: Accountants, Attorneys, Financial Service Professionals, Trust Officers, and Development Officers of non-profit organizations. There are currently 95 Council members. A classification for Junior Members has also been established for those who do not yet qualify for full membership but are currently studying or working toward certification in their discipline. Annual dues are $125 for full members and $75 for junior members. All meals are included.
Meetings are held the fourth Thursday of September, October, January, February and April. The annual meeting in May is generally held at a different venue and is scheduled depending upon availability. The meetings begin with a buffet lunch at 12 noon followed by a program from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. On rare occasions, a breakfast meeting has been scheduled to accommodate a speaker flying in from out of town.
The main meetings are held at the Great Hall at Valley Plaza, 5121 Bay City Road, Midland, Michigan. In addition, a satellite location has been established at Isabella Bank, 139 E. Broadway, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, where lunch is also provided.
If you would like to join the NMEPC, an application form may be found here, and a junior membership application form may be found here. If you would like to attend a meeting as our guest, you may do so once at no cost. Attendance at subsequent meetings as a guest would require a $25 fee. If you have any questions, please contact the Administrative Assistant at email@example.com or any of the Board Members.